Thursday, October 20, 2011

the perils of air travel

And no, I don't mean the cost. I mean, yeah that part is getting crazy, but I can deal with it.

Not the security lines, either. I actually rather like getting to show off my crazy socks, and my laptop easily returns to my bag once I'm through the line.

I'm not even talking about the other people. I've been stuck with the ill, belligerent, and crying masses. Annoying? Occasionally. But nothing to quit flying over. Hell, I've been the ill myself. (which reminds me...don't fly with a bad head cold. It will hurt your ears immensely, and leave you deaf for several days.)

No, the perils I speak of are the missed moments. Flying, while quicker, robs you of the experience travel is supposed to be. Like the old saying, "it's not the destination, but the journey." 

When you drive, you have an experience. You cram everyone into the old car, suitcases and coolers blocking the windows, radio blasting. You get lost, you pull off the road, you take a detour or the much beloved "scenic route" (fatherly code for "I'm lost but it'll work out.") You see cute little towns, out of the way attractions, and giant food on sticks. You stop at crappy little motels. You make memories.

I grew up travelling. My first road trip was when I was 4, from my home in Michigan to Disney World in Florida. In the time since, I've never really stopped roaming. That first trip was followed by two more to the World. There was also the nearly month long trek to the Great American West, which included the Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, San Fransisco, Portland, Death Valley, Las Vegas...and so many other places. There was a similar journey throughout the east coast...New York, Boston, Plymouth, Myrtle Beach. I've also ventured into Canada several times, mostly Toronto, Niagara Falls, and Vancouver.  I've been to so many battlefields, ancient cemeteries, middle of nowhere diners, beaches, historic landmarks, national parks...but I'm not done. I will always ramble, I will always wander.

And I will always do it in a car, not on a plane. You loose too much up there, pretty as the view may be. You miss the best of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment